The 14th International Conference on the Short Story in English will take place from 13 to 16 July 2016 at East China Normal University, Shanghai, China, with the theme: "Influence and Confluence in the Short Story: West and East".
"I would really hope that this would make people see the short story as an important art, not just something you played around with until you got a novel."
- Alice Munro, on receiving the Nobel Prize for Literature 2013. Source: The New York Times, October 11, 2013.
Suggested theme: The Short Story – Influence and Confluence, East and West
- Word count: 2,000 to 3,000 words. Times Roman 12 pt. 1 inch margins.
- Short stories in English or English translation. Two stories maximum.
- Stories must not bear any identifying information and must be as an attachment in .doc, .rtf
- to an email to MauriceL[at]uca[dot]edu. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Subject of the email: Short Story Contest.
- Include name, contact details and title of work in the body of the email. If translated, name of
- translator must be indicated in the body of the email only.
- Entries must not have been previously published online (includes personal blogs, etc.) or in print.
The Conference reserves the right to utilize stories in support of the Society in any way deemed appropriate which may include publication in an anthology.
Stories submitted and accepted for the anthology, The Global Short Story: East and West, may not be submitted for the short story contest, because it will violate the rules of the anthology.
Writers retain copyright and after the Conference are free to have their stories published elsewhere.
Entry fee: $US15 per story. Non-refundable. Via online payment form for those not attending the conference. For those attending the conference, please see page 4 of the registration form.
Stories for which an entry fee has not been paid will not be considered.
Deadline: April 30, 2016 May 15, 2016 Due to problems with the payment process for the Entry Fee, the Short Story Contest has been extended until May 15, 2016. This extension will be final. Please make sure that all stories and the appropriate payment have been submitted and received by that date. We apologize for this delay. Please contact the director at email@example.com for any questions or problems.
Judges: Bharati Mukherjee and Clark Blaise.
Prizes: 1st prize $1000, second $500; third, $250.
The organizers reserve the right not to award the prizes, or to reduce the prize money, if, in their opinion, such action is justified for any reason.